Kotak League Platinum credit card comes in RuPay and VISA variant and is an entry-level one among many from the Kotak Mahindra Bank. The card is decent enough if you can get the lifetime free version. The reward rate is low at around 0.27-0.53% but you can use the card to take advantage of offers.
Read more about the benefits and features in this review.
Kotak League Platinum Credit Card Overview
|Rs 499/Nil (also offered as LTF)
|Rs 499/Nil (fee on paid variant waived on a minimum retail spending of Rs 50,000 in a year)
|5,000 reward points worth Rs 500 (for paid variant only)
|– Up to 8 reward points on spending every Rs 150
– Earn 10,000 points worth Rs 1,000 on meeting Rs 1.25 lakh milestone every 6 months
Fees & Charges
- Joining Fee: Rs 499/ Nil (also offered as LTF)
- Annual Fee: Rs 499/Nil (fee on paid variant waived on a minimum retail spending of Rs 50,000 in a year)
- Finance Charges: 3.5% p.m. (42% p.a.)
- Foreign Transaction Fee: 3.5% of the transaction value + GST
- Cash Advance Fee: 2.5% on advance amount or ₹ 500 whichever is higher
- Reward Redemption Fee: Nil
- Over Limit Charges: Rs 500
- Rent Transaction Fee: 1% of the Transaction Amount + GST.
- Add-on Card fee: Nil.
- Note: GST as applicable on fees and charges. See full details here at Kotak Mahindra Bank’s website.
Kotak League Platinum Credit Card Benefits & Features
From reward program to a benefits such as surcharge waiver and fraud protection, the Kotak League Platinum has a lot to offer especially if you consider the free variant.
You get 5,000 reward points worth Rs 500 as a joining gift. This offer is only applicable on paid card, not on free variant.
Since early 2023, Kotak Mahindra Bank has been issuing League Platinum credit card as lifetime free in some cases, especially on RuPay variants. Even if you get the paid variant, your joining fee is effectively compensated with the welcome offer worth Rs 500. And the annual fee waiver criteria (spend Rs 50,000 in a year) is also pretty easy to meet.
Fuel Surcharge Waiver
The League Platinum card gives you a 1% fuel surcharge waiver on transactions valued between Rs 500 to Rs 3,000. The capping for this benefit is Rs 3,500 per calendar year. Also note that fuel transactions do not earn you reward points.
Railway Surcharge Waiver
- 1.8% surcharge waiver on tickets booked through IRCTC
- 2.5% surcharge waiver on tickets booked through Railway counters
- Maximum Railway surcharge waiver of Rs 500 in a calendar year
League Priority Attend
This features gives you the option to simply send a text message to the Bank and the Bank’s representatives call you back within 30 minutes.
Kotak League Platinum credit card gives you up to 8 reward points for every Rs 150 spent.
|Up to Rs 2 lakh
|8 reward points per Rs 150
|4 reward points per Rs 150
|Above Rs 2 lakh
|8 reward points per Rs 150
|8 reward points per Rs 150
Milestone Rewards Benefit
When you spend Rs 1.25 lakh every 6 months, you get the option to choose the milestone benefit between 4 free PVR movie tickets Or 10,000 reward points.
- 4 free PVR movie tickets: Ticket price is capped at Rs 400.
- 10,000 reward points: These 10,000 Kotak League Platinum reward points are converted with 40% ratio against Kotak rewards i.e., are worth 4,000 Kotak reward points. 4,000 Kotak reward points are worth Rs 1,000 as each Kotak reward point is worth Rs 0.25. Read below for explanation.
So, the 10,000 reward points option worth Rs 1,000 gives you more value than the free PVR tickets option.
Understanding the reward points
- The reward points earned with Kotak League Platinum credit cards are different than than the usual Kotak reward points that are used for redemption.
- The value of 1 Kotak League Platinum reward point is 0.4 Kotak reward points.
- And 1 Kotak reward can be redeemed for Rs 0.25.
- So, 1 Kotak League Platinum reward point is worth around 10 paisa (Rs 0.10)
- That’s a reward rate of around 0.27% on spends below 2 lacs and around 0.53% on spends above 2 lacs.
- No reward points are earned on fuel transactions.
You can redeem the reward points through Kotak Rewards portal for flights & hotels, mobile recharges, vouchers to make purchases for the variety of products available in the catalog.
It’s a decent credit card as far as basic cards go. A no-brainer if you get the LTF variant which the Bank has been offering since early 2023. Even the paid variant will do if you don’t hold any premium level cards.
If you spend high enough with it, say above Rs 2.5 lakh in a year, then you can get the milestone benefit along with normal reward points. And if you don’t spend that high, you can use it to take advantage of online offers and build or keep your credit score healthy.
How to Apply?
You can apply for the Kotak League Platinum credit card online through Kotak Mahindra’s website. The application process is simple and fast. Alternatively, you also visit any of the Bank’s branch nearest to you to apply.
- Primary Card holder should be in the age bracket of 21 years to 65 years and a resident of India.
- Income – Rs 5 Lakh and above per annum.
- Location – Ahmedabad, Bangalore, Chandigarh, Chennai, Delhi (including Gurgaon and Noida), Hyderabad, Kolkata, Mumbai, Navi Mumbai and Pune.
Kotak Mahindra Bank is known to be generous for the credit limits. So you can expect a good limit on your League Platinum Credit Card, given you have the prerequisites for it.
Note: The details for the RuPay variant may vary as the official website doesn’t display any specific information for that.
Other Kotak Bank Credit Cards
- Kotak 811 credit card– Another entry-level card with benefits on par with Mojo Platinum except lounge visits but comes with lower fees.
- Kotak Myntra credit card– best for Myntra spends and UPI cashbacks.
- Kotak Mojo Platinum credit card– Rs 1,000 fees but with waiver criteria. Best for complimentary lounge access and earning 1% reward rate on online spends.